One of the best reasons to use MicroSkin ostomy pouches is the versatility of our products. Whether you prefer a one-piece or two-piece pouch system, we can accommodate you with multiple options. This is vital for ostomy patients since no two bodies are the same, nor should anybody be stuck with a “one-size-fits-all” supply structure.
What are the differences between one-piece and two-piece ostomy pouches?
One-Piece & Two-Piece Pouches
Both systems come in drainable or closed forms, meaning you can select something designed for either repeated or singular usage. The one-piece system has the pouch and skin barrier (AKA wafer) all in one component, whereas the two-piece system lets you detach the skin barrier. These carry various advantages depending on one’s lifestyle requirements.
Reasons to Select a One-Piece Pouch System
- The one-piece pouch is a little more “low profile,” making it easier to fit under your clothing. This works well if you don’t want to wear loose shirts all the time.
- Since it’s all in one piece, you don’t have to worry over whether the pouch and wafer will come apart inadvertently.
- This also involves fewer assembly steps, which is an important consideration for elderly clients who suffer from dexterity difficulties.
- In most circumstances, the one-piece option is better at attaching to scarred or uneven skin.
Reasons to Select a Two-Piece Pouch System
- Two-piece pouch systems are the most effective for active or outgoing ostomates. That’s because you can leave the skin barrier part attached, drain the pouch, and reattach it much quicker than with a one-piece arrangement.
- You’ll also enjoy more flexibility with this system since you can change pouch sizes much easier throughout the day. You may, for instance, want a smaller pouch while running or swimming, but then revert to a larger pouch while you’re asleep for several hours.
- Detachable skin barriers are also pretty durable. Our high-quality supplies last for at least three or four days before needing a replacement.
We hope this brief primer on the various pouch systems helps you understand the benefits of each approach. You can learn more about MicroSkin ostomy pouches and how to use them by checking out our section on application steps.
Cymed MicroSkin manufactures and markets the best hypoallergenic ostomy supplies for colostomy and ileostomy patients. With almost one million ostomy patients nationwide, our business mission involves serving this important segment of Americans, who depend on outstanding ostomy care. You can learn more about us by calling us anytime at 800-582-0707 or filling out the form below.